Baden UMC in 1858
The Baden United Methodist Church was organized in 1858 as the Storer Chapel Methodist Church by the Reverend Thomas Storer as a `point' on the Freedom Circuit, which consisted of congregations at Freedom, Concord, Baden, Slippery Rock, Plains, Unionville, Lancaster and Zelienople. There were
29 charter members. The circuit was served by two ministers until 1862 when it was subdivided. Storer Chapel remained part of the Freedom Circuit until ?? 1892 1890 ?? when it was listed as a station and a minister, Rev. M.G. Porter, was appointed by the bishop. In 1900 the first parsonage was built costing
The first church structure, a one room frame structure, 32 x 40 feet costing approximately $1,000, was located at the corner of East State Street and South Phillips Street. Dedicated to the worship of God on September 19, 1858, this building served its purpose for fifty eight years. The congregation worshipped
there until July, 1906 when the building was sold for $1,400, the building was remodeled and used as an office and dwelling until it was dismantled in 1953.
At State Street and Dippold Avenue, a second church building was erected during the pastorate of the Rev. R.B. Carroll, whose careful supervision and personal labor are gratefully appreciated. The cornerstone was laid Sunday afternoon, November 19, 1905, and the Church was dedicated June 3, 1906.
The building cost nearly $7,000.
The original church charter granted June 5, 1861 was revised January 6, 1863 to the name, `Storer Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church of Baden'. It was revised again on December 19, 1921, changing the name to `The Methodist Episcopal Church of Baden' and granting voting privileges to women. The
charter was again revised on July 15, 1953 changing the name to `The Methodist Church of Baden' and granting voting privileges to all members 21 years or more. A Trustee must be over the age of eighteen years. Again on March 9, 1981 the name was changed to `The Methodist Church of Baden, Penna.'
Baden UMC in 1906
In 1944 a Building Fund was established by a bequest of $500 from the will of a member of the congregation. On April 9, 1955, ground was broken for the construction of a new education building and Fellowship Hall. A new brick parsonage at the corner of Berry Street and Dippold Avenue was ready for
occupancy on Nov. 23, 1958. On March 20, 1966, the church began to conduct its services in the Fellowship Hall, making it possible to dismantle the old church.
A ground-breaking ceremony to build a new church, the third in the history of the congregation, was held on Aug. 17, 1968, and shortly after, construction began. The total cost of the building including furnishings, landscaping, new organ and parking lot was approximately $214,000.
In 1968, a Plan of Union was proposed to bring together the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church, two churches that share a common historical and spiritual heritage. The Plan of Union was made effective by the United Conference in Dallas, Texas, on April 23, 1968. The church then took its present name `Baden United Methodist Church'.
On June 29, 1969, a procession was formed in the fellowship hall and proceeded to the new sanctuary for the first worship service in the new church. A Service of Consecration was held in 1969, with Bishop Roy C. Nichols as the speaker and the Rev. Frank T. James, Pastor.